JOB TITLE: Clinical Assistant (CMA, LPN, RN)
DEPARTMENT: Clinical Services
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Clinical Services Manager
SUMMARY: The Clinical Assistant is responsible for assisting physicians with all patient exams, procedures, patient education, and accurately documenting the patient visit into their electronic medical record (EMR). This position is also responsible for communicating effectively with all internal and external stakeholders to ensure each patient receives quality and effective health care.
TYPICAL MENTAL/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Occasional exposure to communicable diseases and biohazards. Daily standing, squatting, walking, bending, and maneuvering. May require lifting up to 40 pounds to transfer/turn patient with/without assistive devices. Stress can be triggered by workload and difficult patients.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Fast-paced clinic environment. Contact with physicians, staff, patients and various other healthcare stakeholders.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Obtains, verifies, and records health history of patients. Gathers pertinent health data through physical assessments and biological samples. Collects specimens for laboratory analysis.
- Provides basic patient care as ordered. Administers medications and treatments as directed. Assists other health care professionals in performing exams, diagnostic procedures and treatments, and minor medical procedures. Adheres to infection control/safety guidelines and confidentiality policies.
- Documents assessments, interventions, patient/family responses, medication dispensed/prescribed, and test results in medical records.
- Promotes wellness by providing patient education materials, communicating physician advice/instructions.
- Responsible for the daily maintenance of the laboratory area and equipment logs as indicated by clinic protocols.
- Adheres to all departmental and organizational policies, guidelines, and procedures.
- Communicates effectively and professionally with physicians, administration, supervisors, co-workers, and patients.
- Addresses patient concerns or adverse events in an appropriate and professional manner while adhering to organizational policies and procedures.
- Participates in clinical staff meetings and committees as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy, physiology, and pathophysiology. Familiarity with healthcare systems, regulations, policies, guidelines, functions, and clinical best practice standards.
- Knowledge of documentation standards including current HIPAA guidelines.
- Knowledge of equipment, supplies, and materials needed for medical treatment.
- Knowledge of basic laboratory procedures including preparation and screening.
- Knowledge of infectious disease surveillance, management, and safety standards.
- Working Knowledge of Electronic Medical Records systems and programs.
- Skilled in reading and following written and oral medical orders.
- Skilled in initiating appropriate emergency procedures.
- Skilled in handling a number of tasks simultaneously.
- Skilled in performing blood draws and injections.
- Ability to use manual dexterity to perform medical treatments.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers and diverse patient populations.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations for drug dosages.
- Ability to use computer hardware and software programs to effectively manage the patient’s electronic medical record.
- Current licensure or certification as a Medical Assistant, Practical Nurse, or Registered Nurse in the State of Minnesota required.
- Two years of experience as a Clinical Assistant and one year in a specialty care setting preferred.
- One year of working experience managing patient health information within an Electronic Medical Record preferred.
- Valid Driver’s License required.